9/01/2011

BY THOMAS // collection 03




I went to a special presentation of By Thomas' third collection tonight interestingly located on the steps of Église Saint-Jean-Baptiste.  In collaboration with Christian l'Enfant Roi (more on that later), both brands showed strong, clearly focused collections that Montreal should be proud to call their own. I got there a little late so all the models were already standing in formation in front of the church. Crowds were already forming to go inside to see Christian l'Enfant Roi, so I couldn't get shots of everything (bummer). I've spoken about my admiration for By Thomas already (here + here). Tonight solidified my belief in the brand as a whole.

I really enjoyed the wrap skirts/hems in this collection. The silk(?) was done so well, they just look so easy and effortless, which I know was no easy feat. One thing I wasn't a fan of was the print. It reminded me of a futuristic/abstract marble or something. I just thought it was a strange mix with the fluidity of the rest of the collection.

However, I did love the accessories. This is Thomas' first foray into handbags if i'm not mistaken; a great extension of her vision. I loved the raw feeling I was getting from the bags which gave a nice contrast to the femininity of the clothes. The green bag pictured was my favorite. It reminded of me Alexander Wang's Rococo but a lot less trendy and much more lust worthy in my opinion.

These two brands are really the most exciting thing happening in the Montreal fashion scene. Not only are the clothes well conceived and executed, but their choice of location also sets them apart. I thought it was great that they chose to show on their own, apart from the Montreal Fashion Week calendar, and somewhere other than the Marche Bonsecour runway. An unconventional location which hopefully will stimulate other brands here to start thinking more creatively about the way in which they showcase their clothes.



1 comment: